Two Codeplex projects have come in quite handy for me this week and I thought I’d pass them on.
WSUS 3.0 – WSUS Smart Approve
I installed Windows Server Update Services on my Windows Home Server 2011 this week.
As usual, I was in a bit over my head. I hit the Approve All Updates nuclear option. Knowledgeable sysadmins are possibly cringing or screaming at me (or both). By the time i figured out that approving updates puts them in the download queue, 4 and a half gigabytes were in the queue. Ordinarily this wouldn’t be a problem. But my broadband has had issues and it’s ridiculously slow (0.85 MBPS) and WSUS was eating up all the bandwidth.
So this was a problem. The solution was, of course to approve and download only needed updates. Amazingly, WSUS has no way of automatically approving needed updates (even as a checkbox buried five or six option screens down and off by default).
So, Codeplex to the rescue!
WSUS Smart Approve does exactly what it says on the tin – automatically approving updates according to certain rules. One of those is, of course, to approve needed updates automatically.
MetaWeblogAPI – ooMetaWeblog
One of the nice things about the MetaWeblogAPI is that almost everyone supports it. One of those is, of course, Windows Live Writer 2011.
Using Windows Live Writer as a WYSIWYG editor would be convenient.
There are a number of options to implement a server-side MetaWeblogAPI endpoint. Scott Hanselman has one approach.
I used another approach – the Matlus.MetaWeblogAPI.
The corresponding Codeplex project is ooMetaWeblog.
Hope they come in helpful for somebody.
- How Obama Can Smoke Out Mitt: Call for Breaking Up the Biggest Banks, and Resurrecting Glass-Steagall
- The Two Major Views About Why Romney is Losing, and Why the Second is More Convincing
- Ballmer talks Surface pricing, Windows Phone 8 to Seattle Times
- TUAW Metaliveblog: Apple September 2012 Event
- The Biggest Economic Challenge of Obama's Second Term
- Whose Plan Destroys Medicare -- Obama's or Romney-Ryan's?
- G-G the book - G-G on Facebook - G-G on Twitter
- I’m Totally Using This Excuse
- New painting presets & video for CS6
- I couldn't believe it, myself, but this is a real picture.
- iPhone Caused ‘Crisis of Design’ at Samsung
- There Are Two Londons
- For better or worse, Apple addicted to the rumor cycle
- The Longform Guide to the Olympics
- 162,366 hits